.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Saturday, December 18, 2004

The American way...

Before writing about the American way(s), I need to inform my dear readers that I spent half of my high school years in the United States and attended three American universities as well as three Canadian universities. I could say that I am almost an ambi-national. I would say that I am a Canadian with many positive feelings toward America and Americans. I often sympathize with those Americans who find it most difficult to accept the activities of their government, such as the wars in Vietnam and Iraq.

Today I want to simply say that Americans love their sports; that holds for both amateur and professional sports. My initiation came during the days after the Second World War when The Boston Red Sox with their Ted Williams faced the New York Yankees with their Joe DiMaggio. Those were the days when many students had great memories for the daily statistics of teams and players. I can say that I was bitten by that American bug!

Today at 1:30 I had my TV on and caught the first few minutes of the New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers football game. What an exciting start; the Giants' Willy Ponder had an opening kick run back touch down. Talk about excitement! I had other activities to attend to and when I returned it was for the last six minutes, with the Giants ahead by three points then the Steelers came back to win the game. What excitement!

I could have spent many hours today watching American football and basketball at the professional level among the various American universities: but, I did not. My preference was for my private and personal study of the Middle East, of the Arab-Israeli conflict, of Muslim extremist and of international terrorism; such a fascinating study. As well, I needed to do some reading of modern poetry in English, Spanish and French. I have activities that could keep me well occupied for many hours per day for many years. All of which is such a small part of the life of this spiritual man of nature and humanity. Life to me is so simple in its complexity and most enjoyable!

Coming back to those earlier days in the U.S., those were the days of radio, the pre-TV years. We depended on newspapers, sports magazines and the ubiquitous radio. Yes, times have changed. I must say, there are times when I believe the TV has changed the lives of Americans and peoples around the world to a remarkable degree. I remember a trip to the Canadian high north where most Innuit families had TVs. Many of the youth were seeing sights of American cities and activities, so different fro their own existence. These were so foreign to their bleak, yet most beautiful environments. They would see trees of different types without an appreciation of what they truly are. In fact, in returning to south, one of the first major differences that caught my eye was the trees. Now when I see scenes on TV of the far north, I have a good understanding and appreciation of what I see.

So, I leave the American sports scene to all those of you who enjoy the viewing. I wish you many happy days, this festive season, for your viewing, with a reminder to go easy on what you eat and also to remember, your sports activities should include some personal physical activity.

To your health, security, both physical and mental and your happiness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home