.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Friday, December 17, 2004

Among friends

Last night, I was among friends; this does wonders for one’s soul. How can one survive in this world without friends? I have written about friends and friendship many times in the past as my readers will recognize, but today the memory of yesterday is so fresh, so comforting, that I need to write a few words about that experience.

As many of my readers will know, I have written many times about friends and friendship but last night was one that needs to be committed to print. Over time we tend to forget the finer details of a happening. I would like to be able to refer back to last night, again and again, in the future.

One week ago, I attended a Christmas dinner and meeting of the Ottawa Independent Writers Association. The meal was not memorable but the conversations were, for a few days. I remember several of the people more so because I had conversed with them rather than hearing some ten individuals read from their poetry. Of course I do remember only too well, my own reading of a poem that I have read many times before other groups or audiences. In this instance, this group of writers was much older, perhaps wiser, but, I must believe, less sensitive to the images projected through the words of the poem. Enough said!

But, last night, with the El Dorado group, before which I have read many times, I found myself among “old” friends. The food was exceptional, the roast beef superb; the entertainment, excellent.

As this group provides its own entertainment, poetry, prose and music have been the general modes of presentation. I decided not to read any poetry as has been my custom but to try something a little different. When my turn came to make a presentation I started with a quiz by reading the following: “Medium-bodied with intense and juicy ripe fruit aromas. The flavors of pure fruit together with soft tannins make for an extremely pleasant easy-drinking wine.” Then I asked the name of the wine. A Cuban Canadian, Juan, came up with the name “Gato Negro” very quickly and correctly. Now this wine is a Chilean wine and the only reason that the wine was not named by any of the many members from Chile is probably that Juan is a wine aficionado, with the taste of that wine on the tip of his tongue. I will check this out with him at some time in the future.

I followed the quiz with a reading from an article written for the Ottawa Canada World News. (October 22, 2004), http://ottawacanadaworldnews.croweagle.com :

“A monthly reading series, the Taller Cultural El Dorado has been running for some eight years. It has brought together many Latin American writers, mainly from Chile but also Canadian writers, many of whom have had some of their works translated into Spanish.
There are many poetry reading groups in Ottawa. El Dorado could be the friendliest of reading environments and has served as a launching platform for writers who have been inspired and encouraged to have their works published.
Last night, the group met at Rasputin’s Folk Café, which is a restaurant where musical and other cultural events are held. As often happens, music is included in the evenings program and this night, Luciano Diaz sang while playing his guitar. The featured reader for the evening was Jorge Etcheverry whose poetry and prose has been published in many countries. This event served as the launch for his latest book Reflexión hacia el sur, with much appreciation expressed by the audience. Eight other writers and poets read from their works as most evenings include an “open mic” session. Spotted in the audience was Gary Geddes who has written and edited more that 30 books. Included among the many of his awards is the Americas Best Book Award. He is currently writer in Residence at the University of Ottawa.
A number of the El Dorado writers will perform at the Sasquatch Writers Performance Series in Ottawa on November 28.”
I followed up on that reading with a “report” on the Sasquatch performance by saying eight members from El Dorado, Carmen, Luciano, Jorge, Erik, Ramon, Juan, Arturo and I performed. Then I asked for the group to join me in an expression of our appreciation for the performances of the first seven named members. Much applause ensued.

Now, to return to the words from the “Gato Negro” wine label, for a conversion into “poetry”:

Tasted

medium bodied

intense / juicy

ripe fruit

aromas / flavours

soft tannins

extremely pleasant

easy drinking

red wine

Gato Negro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home