.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Friday, December 10, 2004

Passion...

I believe to be successful in life one must have passion. I write of passion not as an intense or violent emotion but as a great liking or enthusiasm for whatever. I have many passions that include these few, among the many, though not in any particular order: writing, reading, health, friendship, food, travel, exercise, music, speaking and listening, and one that is very important, the improvement of life and living conditions for all of society.

Dear reader, what are your passions? Could it be that your passions define your way of life and happiness?

Yesterday, I was chatting with a man while he installed a couple of windows in my house. A couple of years ago, while he was installing a couple of doors for me we also chatted about sports activities and exercise. Those types of chats I find take place quite often as I love to talk with people and in doing so I learn something about the individual and through that person, a little more about our society.

I was surprised to learn from the installer that he had completed a few marathons over the last year. His running times have been excellent and he has qualified for the Boston Marathon. We shared some of our experiences, one of which was the feeling of a "high" that runners get while running distances. In preparing for marathon runs, one must run distances! Among the marathons that I have run were the first ten National Capital Marathons. Of those, I can still recall particular feelings and thoughts that I had while running some sections of those runs. In training, I always loved the feeling of having all parts of my body "in sinc", everthing performing like a well tuned expensive car. Running so smoothly, painlessly, so comfortably, almost like floating. On one occassion, I even had what might be called "an out-of-body" experience. One that, though I may have wished to happen again, never did. But that may be the subject of a future writing. This brings me back from the passion for exercise and running to that of writing.

My passion for writing did not begin from early school experiences. If anything, I must say I did learn something about grammar that did help me considerably while at university but as far as creative writing, it did very little In fact it may have even developed in me a form of blockage. Well, dear reader, you probably are saying that whatever blockage might have existed, it has been broken. The "damned dam" has been burst and words flow like the rushing waters of spring time, after the melting of the winter's snow.

I have a passion for writing, of writing narative and poetry, of letters to friends and letters to editors of newspapers, of writing to political representatives, ministers, prime ministers and even presidents of the United States. I have found that once I "document" what is in or on my mind, there is a release from the re-thinking, the mental re-hashing of concerns. This has permitted me to have more time to devote to the more critical present affairs of our society, from the road that needs paving to the security of our land, to the security of our space. These thoughts lead me to a need that I have to learn more by what is meant by "star wars".

Often, through talking with others and reading, I come to new learnings, new thoughts and even inspirations for activity. As I mentioned earlier the talking with others, in particular listening to their words and observing their body language, I have learned much about my friends and fellows; all a small reflection of humanity and living. I must believe that speaking before audiences, writing words to be read by others is a mission that I have, a passion that I must follow. This in not to say that whatever I have in mind is more worthy of being heard or read rather than the thoughts and words of others. I listen to others, I read what others have written and needless to say, there is so much there to be admired!

Vladimir Nabokov, in his Lectures on Literature wrote "There are three points of view from which a writer can be considered: he can be considered a storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchater. A major writer combines these three - storyteller, teacher, enchanter - but it is the enchanter in him that predominates and makes him a major writer."

I would doubt most sincerely that I could ever become a major writer, I leave that to the many others who have the talent and strength to do whatever is necessary, but I will write and maybe some day become an "enchanter". What is necessary for me is to write; it is a passion. It is my passion!

1 Comments:

  • You are a GREAT writer!!!!

    My pasion?? DANCING!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home