.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Thursday, December 02, 2004

The weather, the day and memories of GWB.

Today produced a peaceful afternoon that I spent, in part, on a one and a half hour walk in the woods. The paths that I took were familiar, yet so different with all the snow accumulation on paths and trees. I set out with my camera, knowing that I would be taking a few shots. Little did I know that the few intended would turn into over seventy. Did I overdo it? Perhaps, but it is my belief that from that number I may keep as few as ten. Like in film production and cutting, is takes many feet to end up with but one.

On the walk I met a number of individuals with whom I always have a few words of greetings. Over the last few days it seems that more conversations have started than usual. Perhaps it is the feeling of many that fewer and fewer encounters will be made now that December is at long last here, bringing with it much colder weather and the perennial snow falls. The last conversation was with a school teacher who walks the main path for a half hour each day in each direction, to and from his school. We chatted about the values of exercise through walking and one's health. He looked to be in great shape.

That chat reminded me of one that I had with an ex-Israeli military officer while in Montenegro (Yugoslavia), this past summer. He had been traveling for a six month period on his bicycle. What struck me most about this man was his athletic appearance and his good nature. If ever there was a relaxed and fearless individual, this man was he! I only wished we had more time to chat but I will be sending him an e-mail tomorrow to be brought up-to-date on his travels. I trust he is now teaching at a University in Israel.

Although I have taken many photos of particular scenes on my walks, the weather, the time of day with the type of light all providing rather different settings. Today with the snow, conditions were most favourable for those many shots.

An earlier thought for this blog was to focus on the weather in relationship to the visit to Ottawa by the President of the U.S. Had he arrived a day later, he would have been here for a 23 cm. drop, translated into inches would be 51/2. That would have caused more gridlock and fewer demonstrators to greet him. Nevertheless, as it was, leaving at the beginning of the snow fall, he was delayed by about 1/2 hour.

That first snow fall of the year, as happens every year, produces a rash of traffic headaches and many accidents. When cold weather arrives with the snows in many American states, weather announcers and others often say the snow has come from Canada but it is my understanding that this first snow fall blew in from, of all places, Texas. Yes it blew in to blow out the greatest Texan of the day, the great George W. Bush! Next year, I will refer the first snow fall of the year that exceeds 5 inches as a "Bush" snow fall, even if it does not come from Texas.

To close down my thoughts on the Bush visit, I must say that the long awaited visit has passed and will be well remembered by many and in particular those that wined and dined with him on Tuesday night and those in the audience on famous Pier 21 in Halifax. It will go down in Canadian history as an "event", one that may have been necessary for many good reasons. Now that is is over, many citizens of Ottawa wish that we will not have another for quite some time. Many voices of complaint have been heard right up to some Parliamentarians who were prevented from entering the Parliament buildings for an hour. One member described Parliament like a "fortress under siege." Over the past many years, I was a frequent visitor to Parliament on government business or taking visitors on a tour. I can't say that it is the pleasure that it was prior to 9/11. Canadians have been much affected by that historic event. For historical reviews and analyses, the question will come up again and again, why was 9/11 necessary?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home