.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Good Morning World

It is now 6:30 AM, the start of an "average" day, no doubt. But, as always, different from all other days of the past. This is what is so wonderful about living. The future activities of the day can't be predicted in that no matter how well planned they are, the accidents of life always intervene.

I sit at my computer with many thoughts going through my mind. I can't predict what I will write in the next sentence but the desire for a coffee is paramount so I will fill a cup of coffee that has just completed a percolation process. I wonder what percent of the total population of the world starts the day with a coffee and if not a coffee, what other beverage might be consumed.

Yes, for me that first cup of coffee, that first cup of "java" does me good. I have many memories of starting my day with coffee. My mind turns the many countries that I have had the good fortune to have visited. Memories of an espresso at a bistro in France, a cafe latte at a coffee bar in Canada, a cappacino in Cuba, an unexciting coffee on an over-night flight to Europe or a simple yet comforting coffee at an American early morning restaurant such as the famous (the name eludes me, and that has something to say about my memory,but I shall retrieve it, soon) in Los Angeles where the 10 cent mug of coffee is still available, which is remarkable, wonderful and almost unbelievable. This mug, that sits on my desk, filled with a Columbian brew does satisfy me. Not exciting, just plain comforting.

I have many coffee cups and mugs that I use. Most were given to me from friends and these most often were purchased by them while they visited cities and countries far removed from their own. Sometimes not, as is the case of the 1000 Island Canada mug that holds the brew that I am enjoying this morning. I have many memories of the St. Laurence River and some of the Thousand Islands. Memories sometimes easily refreshed by photographs that I have taken in the past. One that I hold in my hand was taken from the Thousand Island Bridge during the spring of 1953, over 50 years ago! It was like yesterday. Yes memories so easily preserved by the aid of photography. What impressed me at that time was the wake produced by boat as seen from a height.

My mind and memory turns to a few of the thousands of breakfasts that I have had. Some recollections are sharp as the one that I had last Sunday morning which was not truly a breakfast but a brunch to celebrate readings by three authors of their recently published books.
now, to think of it, why such fine memories of breakfasts such as the one looking out onto the Adriatic from a restaurant on the Island of Corfu, or from a mountain side restaurant on the Island of Haiti or at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, Canada. All different yet, all memorable.

Memories, we all have them! Memories, for me bring back, most often pleasant thoughts of good times, with good friends, sharing time and space with, more often than not, good food and drink.
Some ten days have passed since I had a drink with my friend, Sergio, a film producer and director from Guatemala, in Canada to show his film "Discurso Conta El Olvido" in five cities of Ontario and Quebec. Sergio had a rum and coke and I recall that he requested a particular rum, his favorite, which was available. I had a Guiness beer. The ambiance, decor and mural decorations of the Cafe Jean Sebastien on the rue St. Jacques in Gatineau were to be appreciated. That Cafe is one that I would recommend to all visitors to Ottawa, Canada's capital as it is a five minute trip, across the Ottawa River. While there , Sergio described one of his next films which will be shot in Guatemala during next year's rainy season. We were in Gatineau to visit the Canadian Museum of Civilization. A remarkable institution not only for its holdings but for the magnificent architecture of the building by the famous Douglas Cardinal who was the prime architect and designer of the Smithsonian's Museum ot the American Indian, in Washington, D.C.

Among the many activities for the day will be a shopping expedition with my friend Valentina, an artistic designer. She is searching for fabrics for a new line of fashion designs that I believe will include chain mail. Today, she is a featured web journal writer among the millions who use Bravejournal. Her address there is: http://genghen.bravejournal.com That site will lead you to her two other journals and a main website. This speaks well of her creative abilities.

Another activity for me will be the writing of an article for the "World News". That e-pub (electronic publication) artile is untitles as I have no idea as of this moment as to its possible theme. Inspiration, if that is what it might be called, I await.

As well, a letter to the editor of the Ottawa Citizen must be written about Canada's three territories. Thoughts for this letter are streaming through my mind.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home