.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Monday, November 29, 2004

Friendship

Here it is 1:00AM and I sit at my keyboard to write a few words about friendship. Now why at this time am I doing so? First, I must say that I am sipping a liqueur style "Irish Cream" drink. It is most enjoyable and I think back to yesterday's blog where I wrote about alcoholic consumption and with moderation can lead to "good" health so now I can say that I am being "good" to myself and have some pleasure at this activity, both at the physical and psychological levels. Secondly, seldom do I not fall asleep quickly but tonight many thoughts were racing through my mind (if that is where my personal racing takes place)and most of these were memories of friends.

Friendship, by definition is a relationship of mutual affection and good will. I like that definition. I have made many friends through all of my life, friends in all the provinces and Canadian territories, friends living in most American states, friends in many of the countries of the world. Many of these friends were "work" friends. With these friends, work was accomplished to satisfy the needs of our employers. As friends we counted on one another to achieve the objectives of the organizations to which we belonged, and in this, we, I believe were all successful. For me, those "work" friends were there for a limited period of time; they became, in fact, colleagues.

The friendships that I have today have existed over time under circumstances, not to meet the needs of employers but, if anything, to meet the needs of the times. We share in experiences that are mutually beneficial, and most often improving the situations that we face, in making our world a better place in which to live.

For the first time, recently, I dedicated a book of poetry to friend. This gentleman is in truth a gentle man who has lived in part a most difficult life and has been a survivor. I am writing his biography and in doing so, I have developed a deep respect and a good understanding of a fellow human being. Through him I have learned much of Native life and "spiritual' practices. In that he has served as a guide and I have learned that he has been recognized and respected as a guide to many Natives through his life as an example and model to others, not through preaching but through simply being there. The book has the title, Standing Tall, the simple dedication reads: "To Dave McKenzie - father - guide - friend -."
That serves as an example of friendship. (a little more was written about Dave in the Nov. 22 blog, entitled My friends.

Yesterday afternoon eight members of the El Dorado Literary Group met at the the Sasquatch Poetry group as featured readers. I as a member of El Dorado had the opportunity to read three poems. Though I had read before the Sasquatch Group before, this was a special occasion where I shared with my friends the floor as special guests. Note that I said friends.

The El Dorado Group meets once a month all year and often has musicians who entertain as well as featured readers. All members also have the opportunity to read at all the gatherings. One special annual occasion is the Christmas dinner. The atmosphere at all times is hospitable and most friendly. Though I have been associated with many groups and organizations in the past, the El Dorado group stands out for its friendship and warmth. It is an outstanding literary and cultural group. Individuals who have an interest in Spanish and English poetry are most welcomed to participate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home