.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Individuals are changed by catastrophic events...

So much has been said about the December 26 tsunami that few people can say that they have not been touched by this terrible event. New figures are being provided by countries that were hit by the tsunami on the dead and missing. It is estimated that the death toll now stands at some 150,000. Some officials are saying that the final number could between 300,000 and 500,000 when considering that many individuals are still missing; some will die because of injuries, others because hunger and future diseases.

The topic of the tsunami has produced more lines of writing than any other event over the last two weeks. Apart from the war in Iraq, news coverage will continue at a high rate. Individuals who are exposed to the media will change in the way they view the world, in their sharing of their good lives through donations and in the thoughts and discussions to which they will be exposed.

We share in what our governments do or do not do to relieve the suffering of individuals who have been caught up in catastrophic events. Most of us are changed as a result of our exposure to the news concerning natural disasters. We can become better individuals as we learn to feel for others, and as our sensitivities for doing what is right and good increases.

2 Comments:

  • Like many others I was following the news about the tsunami. I was zapping from one news channel to another one all day long. I was wondering why I was watching it so much.
    I was driven by curiosity!
    I did not know what a huge wave could cause. I tried to imagine. I tried to imagine the horror the people went through.
    But I was not curious to see the dead. I was curious to see the miracles like the baby who was found after days on a mattress.

    Very shocking and upsetting was for me to hear about a kidnapping of a blond Swedish boy who survived the tsunami and now he is in hands of sick people. I am praying that the children will be protected from pedophiles. As well women who were raped in one of the refugee camps. Wasn´t it enough to loose home, children and been thrown around by the power of water?
    And what kind of human beings are those who were robbing the houses of those who are missing? I do not want to judge but I can not accept.

    I am sure, Mr. Reeves that you will write more deeply about it.
    Just one last thinking....sitting among some people I know, the words came up like: "This is a punishment of God". Personally I do not believe in any punishment of the Universe. Earthquake, Volcanoes, Hurricanes and other powers did always exists and will in the future. This is the nature of our Earth.

    A reader from Europe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 AM  

  • heyy i was just browsing through blogs and i came across yours and i quite like your entry. i go to an international school in malaysia (i'm a high school junior), one of the nations hit (although not as badly) but it has definitely changed my perspective on the fragility of life. quite a number of families i know managed to escape while they were vacationing in the tourist resorts and friends of mine from the intl schools in bangkok have lost young students. it just seemed so scary how close to home this was.. you're welcome to read my blog if you want a perspective of the events from someone like me :).

    By Blogger shirin, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home