.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Years Resolutions

I wonder how many individuals make new year’s resolutions and find that they were actually able to live up to their resolutions. I wonder how many individuals make resolutions to bring about personal change and though they may forget about their resolutions some time into the New Year, they nevertheless having set an objective, and have changed in some respects.

Some changes in behavior are very difficult to make. As an example, to stop smoking, though a most worthwhile objective, the subsequent resolution is most difficult to achieve. Nevertheless, the attempt to stop, results in the increased knowledge and awareness of how difficult that task is.

If one makes simple resolutions that are within the capacity of the individual to achieve, those resolutions in all likelihood will be achieved. This is not wisdom but simple common sense.

Now, I will not hesitate to make my resolutions. It has been said that if one wants to achieve an objective, if that objective is told to others, the individual would stand an excellent chance to meet the objective. Likewise, the case holds for resolutions. So, here are my resolutions: 1. to publish two books; 2. to publish four chap books; 3. to have published in anthologies, magazines, news papers a minimum of twenty articles and poems; 4. to continue, throughout the year, the publications of the Ottawa Canada World News and this blog. 5. To attend poetry groups and to read poems a minimum of fifty times.

One can understand those resolutions in the context of a passion for writing. The desire to write is strong, as is the need to read newspapers, magazines and books. It becomes obvious that words, thoughts and beliefs are central to my way of life. Yet above all those resolutions is the understanding, not a resolution but a simple understanding that in all that I do, I shall avoid doing anything that might harm another in any way, and above all, I shall stand behind my family and friends.

Happy New Year to all!

1 Comments:

  • I bring in the new year with a mixed bag. It is only now that the "yellow minutes" have assembled themselves on my long road, here in the near future, minutes from the undiscovered country, as Shakespeare called the future.
    I am only now feeling the death of my father. As I walk that long road, I slow down and stare at the phantoms, edit the photos I took of him while struggled to live on after the aneurysm surgery, while he was frustrated in the bed after bed, happy to see his nurses, sniping at his family when they arrived, tired, stumbling, wondering, emotionally exhausted from the wishful thinking and the nearby standing still countdown of death, something unknown at the time, during the day and night.
    Now? Now each phantom is being checked for passport and visa. The phantoms supervisors are nowhere to be found. I find the yellow moments intriguing while standing still for, yet, another episode of understanding.

    --Steve Renko

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home