.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Sunday, January 23, 2005

History and Memories

I spent a few hours today reviewing articles written by Doug Mackey for the North Bay Nugget. http://www.pastforward.ca/perspectives. Since early April, 2000, 207 articles have been published. If you visit the Past Forward site you will realize that history can be an interesting subject when one has the opportunity to read articles as fascinating as those written by Mr. Mackey.

Now I can say that Mr. Mackey himself has had a fascinating life which began in the early 30’s in the Town of Port Colborne. His career as a teacher and educational administrator permitted him to live in many towns and cities of Ontario. I met Mr. Mackey when he was teaching high school in Burlington.

It was through Mr. Mackey that I developed a strong interest in poetry. He loved to talk about the poets that he was studying; then and later I read much American literature. I recall a visit with him to the home of the famous Canadian poet, Wilson MacDonald, where Mr. Mackey interviewed Mr. MacDonald for an academic paper that was being written. At that time I obtained an autographed copy of Mr. MacDonald’s Caw Caw Ballads. Mr. MacDonald is featured in article No. 136 of Past Forward, entitled: Poetry in Perspective.

At present, I am writing the biography of Dave McKenzie, from Bear Island, to whom I dedicated the poetry chapbook, Standing Tall, in 2004. Dave is a nephew of Hugh McKenzie, the famous Native artist who resides on Bear Island. He was mentioned in article No. 197 of Past Forward, entitled: A Trip to Temagami’s Bear Island. I have put off my visit to Bear Island where I will be doing some research for the biography until late May or early June.

So many of the articles Past Forward bring back memories, sharp memories of the past, for example, I recall so well the tragedies caused by Hurricane Hazel which is described in article No. 195 of Past Forward: Hurricane Hazel Remembered.

Mr. Mackey has been recognized and will continue to be recognized for his excellent historical writings. He and his son Paul were awarded the Ontario Historical Society’s Fred Landon Award for the best book on regional history in Ontario for the year 2000, for their book: The Fossmill Story: Life in a Lumbering Village on the Edge of Algonquin Park.

Yesterday, an exhibition of Eleanor Mackey’s paintings, Painting Metaphors opened at the White Water Gallery in North Bay. That exhibition will run to February 5. Mrs. Mackey is Mr. Mackey’s wife. I remember her as a teacher of art at the O’Neill Collegiate & Vocational Institute in Oshawa.

The Mackey family is multi-talented, with all members following interesting careers. I believe two of their children are professors at Ontario universities.

I wish the Mackey seniors continuing success in all their retirement activities. We, the public, salute you!

4 Comments:

  • At some moment of our life there is always someone who gives us the opportunity to discover art, poetry,litterature...as for me, it was a french teacher I had when I was at the college, I was 13. His way of explaining our french poets was compelling, enticing, and with this teacher I learned how to express my thoughts and feelings into verses and rhymes. I will be eternally thankful to that man. He is the lord mayor of my town and my boss (lol)strange paths of destiny...and he will never know how his words were important to the teenager I was.Maybe some day I could tell him...lol...should I write a poem to my boss ? why not ? lol !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 AM  

  • To "Anonymous"...."and he will never know how his words were important to the teenager I was"

    You could change that!! I think, it could be important to your former teacher to know that! :)

    - from Anonymous Nr.2

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM  

  • Words of kindness, words of respect so often exist within the mind, and there they remain. It is far better to express these while individuals might appreciate the words and through such appreciation will have obtained an understanding and recognition for the good that they have done. Words that are not shared while we live will go with us to the grave. Then, of what value?

    By Blogger croweagle, at 10:37 AM  

  • to "anonymous n°2" (and it does not mean I am the number one of the anonymous !lol!) and to Croweagle...if I said this to my former french teacher, he would be pleased for sure to see how is teaching was fruitful, but the boss he is, would certainly take my honesty and gratitude for some kind of obsequiousness..would you say ..bootlicking ? lol ! this is the reason why I will remain silent on the impact of his teaching on me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home