.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Human Stain

Anthony Hopkins, the British actor, in the role of a black American, Coleman Silk, passing as a white Jewish professor does not ring true. That British accent does him in; this is most unfortunate for the film viewer who might be sensitive to accents. In addition, the role played by the Wentworth Miller as the young Coleman Silk bears little resemblance to Anthony Hopkins. Nonetheless, Miller's performance was excellent.

It is most unfortunate that American actors could not have been found, with a stronger resemblance to one another, to fill the roles of the youthful Coleman Silk and as he would have appeared as a senior citizen. I was "shocked" to see both men (no resemblance) and "uncomfortable" to listen to the voice of each (accents different). Anthony Hopkins' voice, in particular, disturbed me.

Nicole Kidman performs quite well as a 34 year old woman who comes from a difficult past to have an affair with an aging professor with problems of his own. Seeing Kidman and Hopkins together in the May-December relationship lends an air of the impossible as they both struggle with their unique personal problems. The main characters are simply poorly cast.

Although I liked the story line, the quality cinematography of Jean-Yves Escoffier, the performances of most of the actors, the miscasting of the lead character was such that I would not recommend this film to others. My suggestion would be to read the book.

1 Comments:

  • I agree with you Mr. Reeves. Personally, I like the actors Anthony Hopkins (he is great) and Nicole Kidman.
    But I did not like Kidman in this particular role. She was not convincingly. Her character was dragging.

    Both had a major story to tell and it did not go that well together. I was waiting for the highlight of the story. But before that happen, both got killed.

    I liked the theme about a man who had a white skin but his race was black. I found that very interesting. They should have made a story only focused on him.
    And I was so much waiting that "Coleman" would reveal at the end of the movie that he was black. Just to see those faces of those who accused him to be racist.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home