.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Commission must continue...

I have written about the Gomery Commission relating to the sponsorship program before and I knew that I would be writing about the Commission’s activities in the future. Before Christmas, Jean Chretien, the former prime minister had indicated to friends that he was anxious to appear before the Commission as he had some good testimony to provide. Were these statements made to cover his anxiety and to permit friends to “relax” over the holiday period?

Now we learn that his lawyers are demanding that Justice Gomery step down as head of the enquiry. Not surprising to me as I believe the former prime minister is running scared. His brave front has disappeared. Now, he hides behind his advisors who suggest that the enquiring chief needs to recuse himself.

I must believe that I could be somewhat prejudiced after listening to the testimony of a number of the witnesses. Other Canadians could have similar feelings and understandings. Canadians want to see the Commission come to a positive conclusion and await the report of the Justice that is expected in December.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has an obligation to see the Commission complete its mission and not to do anything to prevent that from happening. There is a danger that a Federal Court Judge might issue an order to have Justice Gomery step down. I believe that would be a negative step and the people of Canada would be offended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home