.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Monday, November 14, 2005

Walking in the woods


I love the autumn days that are bright and sunny, cool yet warm enough not to have to wear heavy clothing. Gone are the hot days of summer that can make walking less than enjoyable for those of us who depend on walking as our major activity for exercise and subsequently, good health.

Memories of my days as a youngster flow with a glorious flourish of colours of the fallen leaves in their golds, browns, reds, mixed with multi-colours almost indescribable. The aromas of the forest and the fresh air that fills one's lungs provide the sensation of a completeness with nature and reduces one to a state of ecstasy. One of my great delights is to kick the leaves as I make my way along the trails that are covered by the leaves and at times, carpeted with the needles from the pine trees.

Soon those trails will be covered by snow. The quiet of the forest, when the howling of the winds subside can be only be broken as the snow is crunched under foot. I am always amazed at the number of tracks left by the deer as they cross my pathways through the forest. It is nice to think that we share the natural environment with many animals and to witness their movements by the trails that they leave on the freshly fallen snow.

Isn't life wonderful?

3 Comments:

  • Great post. Thanks for letting me know. I lived in India during my youth and didn't take part in outdoor activities (opportunities were very limited). Northern California is great for those who love the outdoors. In the final quarter of my life I'm making up for lost time.
    As long as the knees hold up, the trails are out there. I enjoy wild life,with one exception. Don't like snakes. I see them during the warm weather--rattlers and others.

    Stay well.

    By Blogger musafir, at 12:55 PM  

  • Looks you are having a lot of fun, Mr. Reeves :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

  • at fall season, when I was a little girl, what I enjoyed most was going with my father in the woods, to pick up chestnuts (many chestnut trees in my region of France). We were not rich, and bringing back a full basket of chestnuts home was anouncing a real feast ! I loved the walks in the woods..and the wet and cold atmosphere...I loved the steam escaping from my lips, as I were smoking...I always took a pencil between my lips to act like a "adult"...today, when I see a child doing this in the street, I can't help smiling, thinking that we reproduce the same "moments" from a generation to another, as if we were all walking the same path. This thought is reassuring.
    thanks for this beautiful "snapshot" of your life, Mr Reeves.
    chantal

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home