.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Thursday, April 07, 2005

To think, to do…

Today was the day the ban was lifted on most of the testimony of the past several days presented to the Gomery Commission. Many Canadians were curious as to what disclosures would be made. Shocking testimony was presented by Jean Brault, the former owner of Groupaction, a Montreal advertising agency. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were paid to individuals associated with the Liberal Party of Canada. A scandal? To be sure!

What should or do Canadians think? We have had a number of political scandals in Canada, in the past, not all of which related to money. Is Canada much different from other countries of the world? No! In fact, we know of corruption in many other countries. But for many Canadians these are sad times. If we have honour as a country, it has been tarnished!

My thinking almost comes to a stand still. I really do not know what to think at the present time. I believe that I should not judge, I do not have direct access to any of the recent testimony. I watch a little TV, I read some news reports, I realize that some testimony is still under a ban and there will be some future cases to be tried relating to criminal charges of fraud. Some how or other, I want to read Mr. Justice Gomery’s interim report that should be out in November and the results that will come from the criminal trials. Yet, I must say that I am prejudiced. These deep feelings and “dark” thoughts that I have, I must control. But one thought that is always there is simply that of the former prime minister’s involvement; was he or was he not aware of what was going on at the time?

What I do believe is that criminal behaviour must be clearly identified, criminal charges must be advanced and arrests made. Our courts of law must perform; I must trust that they will do what is necessary and “reward” the guilty with fines and jail or prison terms.
I go so far as to say, if the “golf ball” prime minister was involved in any criminal activity, he should be faced with the full force of the law.

What to think? There is a lot to think about.

What to do? Read, listen, perhaps watch television and try to control your prejudices. Recognize these for what they are. Leave the final “judgments” to the Gomery Commission and the criminal courts and then, do more thinking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home