.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Mostar

Driving on the road from city of Sarajevo in Bosnia to the city of Split in Croatia I passed the City of Mostar. Along the main highway I saw many buildings that were damaged during the war in Yugoslavia. As I did not have enough time to visit the city and wanting to see among other sites, the ancient and famous bridge that had been destroyed, I vowed to visit at a later date. This I did.

I will write a long description of that visit at a later time. For now, I can reflect upon the feelings that I had while stopping at a grave yard within the city. I noted the dates of death of so many young men. The graves of the Muslim people were well marked. I was saddened to think that so many men died which begged the questions. Why did so many die and with what results? So many men lost. Their loss will be grieved for many years by parents, brothers, sisters, and by so many relatives and friends. Such a loss to the country, such a loss to humanity!

Before the Bosnian war of 1992-95, Mostar was probably one of the most ethnically integrated cities in the world; at least it was in the former Yugoslavia. With the war, Mostar became a divided city as did many towns and cities in Bosnia and Croatia. Many lives were lost, many building were destroyed.

I spent much time in two different cities in Bosnia and two in Croatia over a seven week period last summer. I realize that there is still much animosity existing and perhaps it will take a generation or two, to forgive and as to forgetting, one can never forget that which is historical. Tensions continue to exist. I would not like to live in that “climate” of discomfort. I heard so many stories from different individuals and families who suffered; some stayed in the country, many left as refugees. Many Croats returned to their homes to find them occupied by Muslim people and had to wait some time before they could recover their homes which were frequently stripped of furniture and other possessions.

We in North America can never understand the true meaning of ethnic cleansing.
Most often they are words but when one visits locations where many individuals were massacred and hears many stories one can become truly sick of heart!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home