.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Can we trust them?

There have been surveys in the past which indicated that the public has a low trust of lawyers and politicians. If you are a lawyer and in politics, where are you on the continuum of trust worthiness? You are doubly faulted! You must come out at the bottom end!

The prime minister of Canada and many of his predecessors were lawyers. Without making any accusations, lawyers who know the law, have avoided being charged with criminal offences. Yet, even knowing the law, some lawyers have been barred from the bar by their bar associations for they have committed offences contrary to the expectations and the honour code of their profession and against the law of the land. Justice has frequently been well served!

It may not be surprising to most readers that lawyers frequently gravitate to politics. What do they know that other potential politicians do not? Do they get elected because the general public feels that greater benefits may be derived by having lawyers represent them?

Some how or other I am pleased not to be a politician. My mother wanted me to become a lawyer. My father wanted me to become a doctor. I wanted to become a teacher. Where did I end up as a professional person? My professional careers were first in teaching and then public administration. Both, from my perspective are honourable professions.

I had considered entering into local politics but waking up from a dream wherein I was a politician, I had received a call from a local resident because his basement was flooding; what a nightmare! Needless to say, I have avoided that field of activity to choose that of writing poetry, letters to the editor, blogs, and articles for newspapers. As well, I have set up some websites that require some writing. There is another area of writing in which I share with many; that of writing letters to friends. I also write to people who seek my advice, from time to time.

I have written letters to presidents and prime ministers, to cabinet ministers and to politicians of most parties at all levels of government. I do this to preserve my sanity, at least that part that I still have, living in this somewhat insane world. There are times when I watch TV to follow politics at home and abroad. My readings include political biographies and autobiographies. I am captivated by the thought of our politicians; the attempt is to understand the why of their actions. I recall the film “Ship of Fools” which was up for a number of Academy Awards and did receive two. It was a great black and white film. Now I view the House of Commons in Ottawa as a “house of fools” or at least a house of foolish behaviour; as if votes can be gained through shouted questions, comments or answers that are given. Where else could such behaviour be condoned?

But as I see it, although politicians are not held in high regard when it comes to trust, we need them; they are required to serve as our representatives. Yes, we need them! Can you imagine; we vote for people whom we do not trust?
Perhaps a party gains power because it is viewed as the lesser of whatever “evils” exist. And when there is a minority government, a clear indication is given that the powerful voice is not one that is championed by the majority of people.

I know there are many or I must believe that there are many politicians who can be trusted. There must be many who are honest. For them to be painted with the same brush as those who are unscrupuoulous, who are corrupt and who are dishonest is neither proper nor right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home