.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Thursday, November 02, 2006

CBC Literary Awards

Yesterday, for the first time, I submitted a poem to the CBC Literary Awards.
Yesterday was the deadline date. I made it!

There are so many fine poets competing for these awards. So, why would I participate? I have run in a dozen marathons knowing full well I would be well back in the pack, to the very end. To the winner goes much glory. To others there is the thrill of completing the race. Likewise, there will be two winners for this literary award for poetry. The first place poem will bring $6,000 to the poet and for the second place winner, all of $4,000. I look forward to reading the winning poems.

But, I am also a winner. Under some personal pressure I completed the 1,000+ word poem in time. It went through some five readings resulting in minor changes to arrive at a point of sufficient satisfaction to send it in. Now, I am pleased. Job done and now I will move onto much shorter poems, more in keeping with my earlier productivity. Yet, I must say that the two longest poems that I have written were completed within the past five days. I trust that was done as a warm-up to the somewhat longer poem for the CBC competition. Next year, if I am alive and well, my submission will be sent in before the deadline or so I say today. In any case, that is a resolution, to be my first written resolution for the New Year, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home