.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Crow Eagle Talks

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The story of Roy Haines

Today I re-read a story written by Dave Brown of the Ottawa Citizen about Tony Little, a military veteran of the Second World War, who recently died. I found in the story a sense of history. It permitted me turn to thoughts of gratitude to all those persons who served their country and the world in times of war, to preserve the peace for the future. Many military personnel did not return and of those who did, most were scarred by having gone to war. Sometimes they were scarred by war wounds; sometimes with the thoughts of their buddies who never made it. The thought of why he (died) and not me? There were thoughts that some may have given up their lives so that the survivors could carry on with their own lives. There are so very many thoughts; so many stories to be told.

I believe that collections of war stories need to be made, while the veterans are still among us. There are many stories that could be told; then documented. We have war historians who write about the big events, the glories of the officers, some of whom, though declared war heroes, caused many to die needlessly. When I say this, I am reminded of stories of the First World War and the heavy casualty rate among the Canadian forces.

Now, for story that needs to be told is that of Roy Haines who celebrated with his wife, a 60th wedding anniversary, on February 1, 2005. The Ottawa Citizen had a photo and brief story of Roy's being shot down over France, escaping through Spain and ending up in a hospital in London. There he met his future wife, who was a nurse. I trust there is a very interesting story there, perhaps even a film to be made!

I knew Roy from the work place; he was always a sincere and humble man, a gentleman, a good worker, a solid citizen and probably a wonderful father and husband. I admired him. I knew him to be a dedicated person to the figure skating sports activity in Canada.

What are the military stories that he might tell? What is the life story of this man?

I wish that Dave Brown would do the necessary research and then write the story of another great Canadian, the story of Roy Haines.

1 Comments:

  • May I add some words to this article ? I agree and appreciate what is written, and want to express my gratitude. I am french, and I know what my country owes to the Canadian soldiers engaged with the Allied Forces during WWII. Shall I recall the sacrifice in Dieppe (Normandy) on August 19th 1942 ? During an operation called "Jubilee", 6100 soldiers included 4963 canadians of the 2d Infantry Division were sent on the french coast to fight the Nazi Army. After the attack, only 2210 Canadians came back to their base on the Isle of Wight. Let's never forget the heavy cost in human life of the great Canadian Nation for the Freedom of Europe !
    A free French woman living in a free country says thank you from the bottom of her heart to Mr Roy HAINES.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home